Explore Scientific produces some of the best semi-professional telescopes for beginners. Like almost all amateur and professional astronomers, we want to see not only the Moon, but also star clusters, planets and even galaxies. Deep sky observations are a dream many telescope users wish to come true. From this point of view, the Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope seems to be exactly what we hope for.
If you are interested in the best refractor telescope allowing sky and terrestrial observations at an affordable price, let’s take a look together at the Explore Scientific 127mm Refractor Telescope, and see what it can do.
What is the Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope?
We will begin this Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope review by detailing the technical features. This is an achromatic doublet refractor optical tube, with 127 mm (5 in) aperture, 825 mm focal length, and f/6.5 focal ratio. These specs talk about the telescope’s usability in astrophotography. The Explore Scientific 127 mm Refractor OTA Doublet Telescope is indeed a good tool for photography, both in the deep sky landscape, and for terrestrial images.
This is a grab-and-go telescope you can take out in the open air. You can carry it on camping and field trips, or on mountain tops. It is perfect for night sky observations and terrestrial viewings. This is not just a great telescope for amateur astronomers, but also for nature lovers and photographers. It is one of the best Explore Scientific telescopes. All the Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope images are crystal clear, bright and sharp, no matter if you’re aiming at celestial objects or wildlife / nature.
This Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor Telescope also falls into the category of affordable telescopes. It is a semi-pro telescope with beautiful tech specs and an elegant design. Explore Scientific telescope is also versatile, powerful and incredibly easy-to-use.
Pros and Cons to Using the Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope
Is the Explore Scientific f6.5 Refractor OTA Achromat Refractor Telescope for you? Let’s sum up the pros and cons of this astronomy tool, and see what you actually get for your money.
- Good aperture, focal length and focal ratio for deep sky viewings, terrestrial viewings and photography;
- Incredible optics (multi-coated lenses for sharp and bright images with no chromatic aberrations) allowing the amateur astronomer to see the Moon, planets, stars, clusters, nebulas and even galaxies;
- Good collimation for better image quality;
- Compatible with almost all high-quality alt-azimuth mounts delivered by companies like Celestron or Meade;
- The Explore Scientific 127mm Refractor OTA Achromat Refractor Telescope also comes with a dual-speed Crayford-style focuser, a dielectric star diagonal, a finderscope and a dovetail tube mount for professional astronomy;
- Sturdily built, easy to carry and transport, just like many other OTA Doublet Air-spaced Achromat telescopes;
- The Explore Scientific 127 mm Refractor OTA Doublet Telescope also comes with a removable dew shield, which protects the telescope from cold weather. Thus, it allows sharp and clear images even in less-than-optimal meteorological conditions. Light filtering when you are in a highly light-polluted environment is also possible with this piece;
- The telescope also comes together with dust covers for the front and rear;
- The Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope price is more than affordable, given its tech specs and the semi-pro niche.
- The package doesn’t include an Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope manual. The product is meant for experienced astronomers who are supposed to know how to assemble and use the product;
- The telescope doesn’t come with eyepieces or an alt-azimuth mount. It is assumed this is not your first telescope, so you already own other sets of eyepieces, mounts and accessories;
- You may find that some screws are out of place, as they don’t match the holes. They are not of the best possible quality either.
Where to Find the Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope?
You will find the Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope for sale on Amazon. As many Explore Scientific company reviews mention, this is indeed a very good quality vs. price balance. You won’t find many elegant design telescopes and telescopes with tube rings perfect for sky viewings, terrestrial viewings and photography (astronomical and land) at better costs.
The most interesting thing when it comes to a telescope is the optics design and capabilities. This 35″ long tube, together with its professional 8 x 50 mm finderscope and the 2″ dielectric star diagonal supporting a 1.25″ eyepiece adapter make sky gazing great. Lunar viewings are crystal clear and sharp. You will be able to see not only the Moon (as a round rock in the sky), but also crevasses, craters, surfaces and textures, in the perfect light.
Moreover, the collimatable objective lens cell allows for superb fine-tuning in order to capture images of planets (Jupiter and its moons, Saturn and its rings, Venus, Mars and so on) and of nebulas and clusters. The Orion Nebula and the Pleiades can be seen perfectly with little effort, just like in a Star Trek movie, as other Explore Scientific telescopes reviews say.
The lenses are multi-coated for obtaining sharp, bright and contrasting images, allowing no chromatic aberrations whatsoever. The powerful optics allow the amateur astronomer to see beyond the moon and stars or planets. With the Explore Scientific 127mm Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope you will be able to to see the galaxies, and take galaxies photography.
You might say the telescope employs self-maintenance, as it has a dew shield for the lens and includes dust covers. However, you should keep it safe from dust and humidity.
This telescope comes with the following accessories: Vixen style dovetail mount and carry handle, dust covers and the removable dew shield, the 8 x 50mm straight-through finderscope, the Crayford focuser, the 2” dielectric star diagonal and the 2” and 1.25” brass compression ring eyepiece holders. There are plenty of other accessories out there that make a perfect match with the Explore Scientific 127 mm Refractor OTA Doublet Telescope: eyepieces, filters, alt-azimuth mounts.
Warranty and Guarantee Information
The company offers a 1-year limited warranty for normal wear and tear of the product, including repairs and replacements.
If you are an astronomer with a few years of experience, this product is for you. The telescope is not very suited for beginners. It doesn’t come with eyepieces, a mount and a tripod, an instructions manual and different accessories. This is a product for all those who know exactly what to do and what pieces go where.
We recommend you to also take a look over some Explore Scientific 127mm f6.5 Refractor OTA Doublet Air-Spaced Achromat Refractor Telescope YouTube presentations. You will get a better comprehension about what this product is and what it can do for you. However, since it comes with a more than affordable price for its hi-tech performances, we consider this product a small wonder. If you’ve already used this telescope, please share your opinion with us. We’d love to hear your comments!