Prepare to set out on a journey among the stars with the Orion Sirius EQ-G, a professional mount which can withstand up to 20 kilograms of equipment. The Orion Sirius EQ-G includes all the latest technologies in terms of star tracking systems, the result being this mount that comes equipped with its own GoTo system.
Find out more about this astronomy and astrophotography support in our Orion Sirius EQ-Q review article.
Orion Sirius EQ-G Review – Product Description
The Orion EQ-G is suitable for lunar and planetary observations, as well as astrophotography. Weighing 76 lbs. fully assembled, the Orion EQ-G can be transported anywhere by hand and assembled on site. In order to align the mount with ease and precision, this mount from Sirius comes equipped with its own illuminated polar scope.
Studying the night’s sky has never been easier, thanks to the mount’s attached computerized hand controller which has a more than generous database. Using the advanced database, you can observe over 42,000 deep sky object. Just select a point of interest using the 2-line LCD, and the Orion Sirius EQ-G mount will move the attached telescope in that direction.
If you are unable to find a celestial object in the hand controller’s databases, then you can make a new entry. Orion Sirius EQ-G comes equipped with dual-axis stepper motors, which can slew your telescope in any direction at a maximum speed of 800x or 3.4 degrees per second.
For increased stability, the Orion Sirius EQ-G mount features two 11 lbs. counterweights and a stainless steel tripod. As far as attachable equipment is concerned , this mount is compatible with any type of telescope thanks to the 8.3-inch dovetail mounting bar.
Other Features and Specs:
- GoTo features;
- Period Error Correction system that can compensate worm gear-related discrepancies;
- Motor Speeds available: 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x, 400x, 500x, 600x, and 800x;
- Alignment Procedures available: one-star alignment, two-star alignment, three-star alignment, and easy mode;
- Tracking Rates available: lunar, solar, and sidereal;
- Backlash compensation system;
- Bearing Material: sealed ball bearings;
- Power source required to operate Mount: 12-Volt DC – 2A;
- Comes equipped with an RS-232 port.
Additional Accessories for the Orion Sirius EQ-G
The most popular accessory bought with the Orion Sirius EQ-G mount is a telescope. The vast majority of customers who have bought this mount have opted for the Orion ED80 80mm f/7.5 Apochromatic Refractor telescope or the Skywatcher Pro 120ED telescope.
Apart from a telescope, you can also buy other types of accessories which can, in turn, enhance the quality of your observations. Below, you will find a list containing some of the most popular accessories for this kind of mount:
- Orion StarSeek Wireless telescope controller;
- 5×13 (inch) Orion Padded Telescope Case;
- Orion 2.1 Amp AC-to-12V DC Power Adapter;
- Orion 13.7V 4A AC-to-DC Power Adapter for GoTo mounts;
- Counterweight for Atlas and Sirius mounts;
- Dynamo Pro 17Ah Rechargeable 12V DC Power Station;
- Orion RockStable Anti-Vibration Pads for Telescope mounts;
- Orion AC 100-240V to DC 12V 2.1 Ah Worldwide Power adapter;
- PowerTank, 7Ah;
- Omegon PowerTank, 17Ah;
- Orion StarSeek WLAN module;
- Cloak Cover for 12”-16” Dobsonian telescopes;
- Dobsonian telescope cloak from Orion.
Buy Orion Sirius EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope Mount from
What’s in the Box?
Here’s what you’ll get in the package:
- The Orion Sirius EQ-G Computerized GoTo telescope mount;
- Adjustable stainless steel tripod;
- One equatorial mount;
- One computerized hand controller;
- One tube ring mounting plate;
- Two 11 lbs. counterweight;
- One 12V DC power cable;
- One GoTo hand controller cable for Atlas EQ-G mounts;
- One GoTo hand controller cable for Sirius EQ-G mounts;
- One RS-232 computer interface cable;
- One wire clip;
- One hand controller bracket.
According to Amazon’s customer review section, the Orion Sirius EQ-G mount has received a four-star rating, making it a popular item among astronomy and astrophotography enthusiasts. Most of the customers who have offered a review for this piece of equipment declared that the mount is truly helpful when it comes to astrophotography and deep sky observations.
The reason why the Orion Sirius EQ-G hasn’t received a top mark is its weight. In fact, some of the customers declared that although the mount itself is not that heavy, its design is bulky and hard to carry around, especially up the stairs.
Overall, the clients are satisfied, and they declared that they would gladly recommend this type of mount to a friend or to a family member interested in astronomy.
Where to Get it From?
You can buy the Orion Sirius EQ-G Computerized GoTo mount for $1,199.99 on Amazon. The product is eligible for free standard delivery.
Orion Sirius EQ-G Review – Pros and Cons
- Excellent astrophotography support;
- Compatible with any type of telescope, thanks to its dovetail plate;
- Good for both celestial and terrestrial observations;
- Hand controller has over 40,000 pre-programmed objects in its database;
- Great overall slew speed;
- Increased stability.
- Tracking gears are noisy;
The Orion Sirius EQ-G is a professional piece of equipment, which requires a good grasp of the basics in order to learn your way around the computerized mount. The bulky design and weight do not recommend it for beginners or amateurs who are looking for a lightweight piece of equipment. The Orion Siriu EQ-G is a sturdy investment mount suitable for intermediate and seasoned users who are looking to step up their game.