When it comes to astronomy or terrestrial observations, using a powerful, reliable telescope (like the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope) is crucial if you ever hope to pass the beginner level. There are many such tools on the market, dedicated to intermediate astronomers or even to pros, but few such optical tools can be used also as superb home interior design accessories. How would you feel if someone told you that you now have the possibility to own one of the best Celestron telescopes out there, which is more than a luxury, vintage-style asset, but also a very good terrestrial scope? What if someone told you that you can get your hands on one of the top of the line Celestron telescopes which satisfies all your needs in terms of optics and performances, and in terms of aesthetics?
Today we will take a closer look at the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass), a piece of jewelry and a technological poem – if we’re allowed this metaphor – and see if this highly rated telescope is as good as it is advertised. Dedicated to the refined amateur astronomers and the classy home owners, this telescope is a rare and precious item and we will evaluate it both as a piece of equipment and a piece of art.
What is the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass)?
This being a retro telescope made by Celestron, we will begin the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) review by going first through the technical details. After all, Celestron makes some of the best refractor telescopes on the market, and the tech specs deserve our full attention. The Celestron Ambassador 80 mm Refractor Telescope in Brass boasts 80 mm (3.15 in) in aperture, with a focal length of 800 mm and a focal ratio of 10. So far so good, as these optical details suggest the telescope is suitable for day viewings and occasional night observations as well. The 25 mm erect image eyepiece, the fully coated lenses and the 32X magnification power of the eyepiece are compelling features which most decorative telescopes don’t provide.
Usually, brass telescopes which serve as showpieces for the office or for the home come together with low quality optics and poor tech specs, as they are built to please the eye, but not to provide any reliable observations. Celestron, however, works with high standards of quality and offers a product which is both exquisite in design and competent as performances go. The Alt-Azimuth mount we will describe in detail soon, together with the fully coated optics, the 6×30 Finderscope and the Erect Image Diagonal deliver crisp, crystal clear and sharp images which add to the intrinsic value of the telescope’s design. These tech features recommend the telescope for daylight viewings and for casual nighttime celestial bodies’ observations. Casual Moon or stargazing is perfectly possible with this telescope when you are in hurry or when you don’t want to assemble your other semi-professional telescope.
Let’s now get into details regarding the exterior look of this telescope. The antique finishing and the vintage design are perhaps the most important features of this state-of-the-art modern scope. The Alt-Azimuth mount has a classic design and it is perfectly completed by a sturdy, stable, incredibly looking mahogany wood tripod. The level of details and the building finesse of this Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) is breathtaking. All-brass telescopes usually feature poor optics, while professional telescopes, sporting hi-tech features don’t blow your mind in terms of aesthetics. This product, however, takes the best tech specs Celestron has to offer to amateur astronomers and puts them together with a design actually increases your property curb value. The mahogany tripod, provided with a finely-crafted tray, the brass coating and all the wing nuts, washers, machine screws, knobs and fittings are a work of art when it comes to looks and craftsmanship.
Pros and Cons to Using the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass)
Whoever wants no plastic telescopes, refined decorative showpieces in vintage/antique styles and powerful-enough optics to be able to use the telescope for its main observational purpose as well, should look into this work of art. Let’s sum up together the pros and cons to using this affordable professional telescope.
- All-brass design (erect-image diagonal, eyepiece barrel, lens caps) with antique/vintage finishing making the telescope a valuable interior design showpiece;
- Good optics allowing crystal clear and powerful daylight terrestrial viewings and casual nighttime observations of celestial objects;
- Classic Alt-Azimuth design;
- Interchangeable eyepieces with fully coated lenses
- The Erect Image Diagonal allows long – distance, clear and crisp images on land and good celestial objects’ observations;
- Mahogany wood sturdy, stable tripod with accessory tray;
- The Brass Finderscope makes it easier to spot and focus on objects of interest on both land and sky;
- The box includes not only the brass telescope, brass diagonal and brass finderscope, but also the 25 mm eyepiece, the mahogany tripod, brass objective lens covers, lens cleaning cloth and assembly tools;
- The Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) manual and the online resources are easy to find, written in a comprehensive, clear style, with detailed instructions for assembly and usage;
- For its purposes and niche, the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) price is affordable and worth every penny, considering its looks and its tech specs.
- The seasoned, experienced astronomer may find the 80 mm aperture and the optical specs too weak for professional sky observations and deep sky viewings, though it should be more than satisfactory for beginner to intermediate astronomers;
- The telescope together with the tripod are quite heavy and hard to transport, as once you assembly them in one room, it is difficult to take the telescope outside or fold it to move it around;
- The tripod legs don’t fold inward unless the accessory tray is removed, but the removal takes time and effort – the telescope, once assembled, is there to stay;
- The price may be too high for those wanting less decorative features and more deep sky observation technical capacities.
Where to Find the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass)?
You can find the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) for sale on Amazon. At $799.00, this is not a cheap product, but, however strange, it is a very affordable one in its niche. If you consider it a long term investment in valuable goods that increase the property overall worth and offer an original, innovative and breathtaking look to your office or home, you will soon understand that this is the best offer you will get, as the telescope is a rare piece of tech and art combined.
Since this mostly a telescope meant to decorate a room, you should keep it safe from dust and humidity and powerful sunrays. As we said, once assembled, the telescope is hard to move around, fold and store, so make sure it is protected against mechanical accidents as well. The tripod is sturdy and stable and it won’t fall easily, especially if it stands on a flat surface, but keep your eyes on your pets and children running around the telescope.
Besides the accessories you will find in the box (Finderscope, lens covers, tripod etc), there are plenty of other accessories you can use with the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) to upgrade and enhance its viewing powers. There are better performing eyepieces available, together with Celestron filter kits, Moon filters, night vision flashlights and even the famous Celestron Night Maps.
Warranty and Guarantee Information
The company offers a 2 years warranty covering repairs and replacements due to normal wear and tear.
If you want an intermediate telescope or even a semi-professional telescope, surely you will find many models on the market which boast not only the best price, but also high levels of tech quality. However, after you look at the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) images or take a sneak peek at some Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) YouTube videos, you realize this is not just a mere telescope, but a work of art. We recommend this telescope to all those who want to increase their home value with an exquisite decorative showpiece and also have the opportunity to enjoy terrestrial and occasional night viewings as well, benefitting from reliable optics and tech specs. If you are on a budget or just testing how astronomy as a hobby feels like, there are plenty of other models you should look into. If you already have one or two telescopes you use, but also want something that is different, exquisite and exceptionally good looking, then the Celestron 21034 Ambassador 80mm Refractor Telescope (Brass) is what you’re looking for.
P.S: As a final note, we should mention that if you’re into the steampunk look of brass telescopes, then perhaps you should also take a peek at the BARSKA Anchormaster 36x80mm Brass Refractor Telescope with Mahogany Floor Tripod. It’s only a tad more expensive than this Celestron model, and the specs and features are similar.