If you’re currently on the lookout for a good beginner’s telescope, then you might want to check out our Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm review to learn more about this amazing scope. Bearing the mark of one of the most proficient optics company out there on the market, the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm is any beginner’s dream.
Equipped with high-quality optics, the Tasco Spacestation can be used for both terrestrial and celestial observations. Even though the optical tubing might appear to be that of an inferior refractor telescope, it’s surprisingly well built and very accurate.
The highlights of this telescope are its single fork arm altazimuth, which is very easy to use and remarkably precise and its three eyepiece set, completed by a Shorty Barlow lens for precise observations.
Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm Features and Specs
The Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm Refractor AZ with Variable LED Red Dot Finderscope Telescope has a 70mm aperture, which ensures visibility over a wider field of view. Furthermore, the telescope has a focal length of 800 mm and a f/11.4 focal ratio.
Another aspect that makes the Tasco Spacestation a reliable telescope is its multi-layered and coated optics, which increases the light-gathering factor. Thus, you can be sure that every image caught through the eyepiece is crisp and crystal-clear.
In order to increase the ease of access factor, Tasco has decided to swap the usual finder scope with Red Dot Star Pointer. So, not only will the telescope be easier to handle, but collimating it will seem like a child’s play.
The scope’s tripod includes a detachable accessories tray, very handy for storing your favorite eyepieces, and it is manufactured using high-quality aluminum. Moreover, the tripod can be adjusted for any height.
Additional Specs and Features:
- Pinion and rack system;
- Single Fork Arm Altazimuth mount;
- Tasco Spacestation telescope 70 mm: multi-layered coated optics;
- Focal Length of Eyepiece One: 25 mm;
- Focal Length of Eyepiece Two: 10 mm;
- Focal Length of Eyepiece Three: 4 mm;
- Magnification Factor of Eyepiece One: 32x;
- Magnification Factor of Eyepiece Two: 78x;
- Magnification Factor of Eyepiece Three: 200x;
- Maximum Theoretical magnification: 600x;
- Maximum Useful Magnification: 600x;
- Is compatible with a universal T-Ring Adapter for astrophotography;
Additional Accessories for the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm
As part of our Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm, we will also show you some of the most popular accessories for this type of telescope.
- Celestron X-Cel LX 2.3mm eyepieces;
- Celestron – Omni 6mm eyepiece;
- Celestron X-Cel LX 7mm Eyepiece;
- Celestron – 1.25-inch Eyepiece and Filter Kit;
- Celestron – 1.25-inch Moon Filter;
- Celestron – Ultra High Contrast Light Pollution Reduction Filter;
- Celestron – NexImage Solar System Eyepiece CCTV Imager;
- Bushnell SLR 35mm OR Digital Camera Adapter
- Celestron T-Mount SLR Camera Adapter for Nikon F-Mount;
- JMI Telescopes – Soft Carrying Case for Telescope and Tripods;
- iOptron VSPs;
- Celestron Sky Map Planisphere.
What’s in the Box?
Here’s what you’ll find in the box once you’ve purchased the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm.
- The Tasco Spacestation 70mm Refractor telescope assembly kit;
- Barlow Lens;
- Moon Filter;
- Adjustable Aluminum Tripod;
- Detachable accessories tray;
- Star Pointer Finderscope with Red Dot;
- One 25 mm eyepiece;
- One 10 mm eyepiece;
- One 4 mm eyepiece;
- Map of the Moon;
- One-year warranty certificate.
According to the customer review section on Amazon.com, the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm received a 3.8-star rating, making it a middle-range telescope. Most of the customers who have bought this telescope were very pleased with their purchase, being willing to recommend it to either a friend or a family member.
Throughout the comments, we have discovered that most of the customers have bought this telescope either for beginner astronomers or small children. One client, who said he bought the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm for his 8-year old stated that the telescope is so easy to set up, that his child required little supervision in order to assemble it.
However, the comment section for the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm is not short of negative feedbacks. In fact, one of the customers who bought this piece for his child complained that some of the piece included in the pack are of substandard quality.
The same user said that the finder scope’s housing is a bit flimsy, and if you’re not careful enough you can end up ripping its grip.
Overall, most of the customers commented that this telescope is a decent piece of equipment for a first-timer, especially due to the fact the magnification factor is very high for a refractor telescope
Where to Get it From
As always, the best place to buy the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm is Amazon.com. Currently, this amazing eyepiece is part of a big discount, costing no less than $99.96. Furthermore, as part of their offer, Amazon will even throw in a free shipment.
Here are some other places from where you can buy the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm:
Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm Pros and Cons
- Great for beginners and small children;
- Easy to set up;
- Decent optics;
- High magnification factor;
- Included accessories tray;
- The pack includes three eyepieces and a Barlow lens;
- Its price;
- Easy to use altazimuth mount.
- Very heavy for a telescope (8.40 kilograms);
- Cheap plastic components;
- Focuser breaks easily;
- The tripod is flimsy;
- No space to attach a motor drive.
Overall, the Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm is a decent piece of equipment, somehow managing to maintain a steady balance between price and quality. Although it was not designed to work with more sophisticated star tracking attachments like motor drives, it still manages to produce crystal-clear images.
Our recommendation is to buy this telescope if you’re a newbie, as the price is very good. However, if you’ve been doing this for some time now, we would recommend paying something extra in order to buy something of a better quality.
Another thing you should look out for if you bought this telescope is pollution. Inside the city, even with the pollution filter attached, this telescope returns poor results. To truly see what this telescope is made of, we recommend that you take it outside the city.
Furthermore, we would also recommend buying the solar and the extra light filter. They may not seem like much, but in a certain situation, they can make a difference between distinguishing something in the eyepiece and seeing a hazy image.
Tasco Spacestation 70x800mm Refractor AZ with Variable LED Red Dot Finderscope Telescope is a decent piece of equipment, somehow managing to maintain a steady balance between price and quality.