BARSKA telescopes are well-known for their quality, and the BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope makes no exception. If you’re looking for a training telescope to use while you learn a bit of astronomy, then the BARSKA Starwatcher is ideal, as it won’t cost too much. It is the perfect telescope for a child, or an adult who only recently got interested in astronomy.
Make no mistake, if the BARSKA Starwatcher price might be really low for a scientific instrument, it doesn’t mean that the telescope is a toy. While the price makes it one of the best offers one can expect for a telescope, it can be used extensively for stargazing, and is a great first stepping stone into space. Our review will deal with its specifications, pros and cons, use, and accessories.
What is the BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope?
This telescope is an entry-level telescope, one of the BARSKA telescopes that are meant to cover the budget market sector. With a 300x power, and a 400 mm focal length, it can be extensively used for all sort of interplanetary watching. While corners were clearly cut in order to lower the price of the product, most noticeable its plastic feel, the optics are surprisingly solid for this price segment.
Additionally, it feels quite solid, without giving off any significant wobbles or handling issues. Given its range and table-top tripod, it can also easily be used as a terrestrial telescope.
|3.9 x 14.5 x 4 inches||3.86 pounds||–||70mm||400mm||Deepsky Astronomy (beginner’s version)|
Pros & Cons of Using the BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope
- Not only does it carry probably the best price you can purchase a telescope for, it is also one of the best telescopes you can get in the under $100 range. Priced lower than many newly released video games, this telescope will offer you thousands of hours of entertainment and knowledge.
- It’s very easy to use, and proves to be perfect for somebody who has recently developed an interest in astronomy, without necessarily possessing any technical knowledge regarding the use of such a device.
- Despite being clearly on the budget end of the price spectrum, most of the cost cutting was done to the case, with the actual power of the BARSKA telescope being above what you might expect.
- Despite the plastic look and expectations of it behaving like a cheap toy, the actual feel and manoeuvrability of the telescope is more than decent, with little to no wobble or fear of breakdown.
- Will definitely not satisfy an advanced user. While we are quite enthusiastic about it, that is mostly owed to being surprised by the hidden qualities of what promised to be an unredeemable “junk” category product, which turned out to punch above its weight in terms of price. However, it becomes very clear that this product will only please a beginner, serving as a 101 of sorts towards stargazing, and should not be considered an adequate piece for anybody who expects anything other than the most basic functions of a telescope.
- The table-top tripod limits its use to certain surfaces, making it even more clearly a telescope that will spend most of its time on the balcony, rather than in a field.
- As noted by other BARSKA 40070 300-power compact refractor telescope reviews, it seems to have a structural problem with its eyepieces, which are not only of poor quality, but they also tend to fall off quite easily from their slot.
Where to Find the BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope
Not only is this one of the best offers when it comes to telescopes, but you can actually get it on sale on Amazon. While you might be able to find the BARSKA 40070 300-power compact refractor telescope for sale in other places, there is really no reason not to take advantage of this great price if you are planning on buying it. Especially since the telescope also comes with a case, a tripod, and software for beginners.
Being a fairly straight-forward product, as far as telescopes go, the BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope doesn’t require much maintenance, other than the common-sense actions of keeping it in a dry place when not in use, and being careful not to bend or break anything when moving it. The carrying case serves as a great place to store it, and cleaning the lens should be done with the sort of soft cloth one might use for cleaning eye glasses.
As we’ve already mentioned, the tripod is quite small, but steady, and moves very well, making the tracking of bodies across the night sky an easy affair. It needs to be placed on a very flat surface in order to obtain maximum stability, which limits the number of places it might be used in, yet that is to be expected for this price range. The carrying case makes it easy to transport, thus also making it likely that this can become your “travel telescope”, perfect to take on a trip to the mountains, as long as you find a flat surface to place it on.
Warranty and Guarantee Information
Any BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope for sale comes with a limited lifetime warranty from the producer.
In conclusion, the BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope is far from being anywhere near the best refractor telescope, yet its incredible price and lack of any major flaws make it an ideal gift for a child or friend who seems to be interested in astronomy, as well as something you could get for yourself if you feel you should look at the stars more often, and have no idea where to begin.
If you’ve ever tested out this telescope before, let us know what you thought of it in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!
Recommended Read: BARSKA 600 Power 80060 Starwatcher Refractor Telescope Review
The BARSKA Starwatcher 400x70mm Refractor Telescope is very easy to use, so it is perfect for somebody who has recently developed an interest in astronomy, without necessarily possessing any technical knowledge regarding the use of such a device.
Last update on 2022-05-18 at 16:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API